Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Draining the Humor (3)

3- asking a favor

When Orion Hookwell asked for solitude, Bri knew better than to question him further. Her husband was the type to retreat into himself at times but he always emerged better for it. She had also attempted in the past to pull him out of his introversions but found it more harmful than good.
Knowing Orion was like knowing two people in one. One side of him was seductive, confidant and elegant. He was cold but he had a fine sense of humor and did things even against popular opinion. The other side was sweet, innocent and almost fragile. He was emotional and sensitive, but resilient and impossible to keep down.
When Orion told her that he would need a day or two to think, she nodded in understanding and answered a call their distant neighbor Lucy had left her.
Bri had the carriage transport her to Lucy’s estate early in the evening.
The heiress’ sailor husband was away, so Bri expected to be greeted by the mistress of the house alone. When she found Lucy, she was at the piano with a large man. He was playing as she sang, her high soprano hitting notes like bells.
She spotted Bri first and she trailed off in her song, the operatically trained voice fading out with power. “Amadeus! Darling, my company is here!”
The muscular man turned in the piano chair to survey Bri. He had blue eyes and strong, chiseled features. His hair was a dark blonde and his manner imposing. Bri’s uncontrolled laugh greeted him. She had no idea who he was, and he certainly was not Lucy’s husband.
Lucy embraced her shorter friendly tightly, “How has it been? The marriage I mean…”
Bri was happy to share details with Lucy but she was still unsure how much the woman truly wanted to know. This was the friend who had leant the ‘love potion’ after all, and seemed to know of Orion’s preference. Furthermore, rumors of the Arteberrys were so widespread that they had a reputation as “hidden deviants.” Bri suspected the large, speechless man Amadeus was a lover of Lucy’s.
“It’s such a beautiful day outside, why don’t we have a picnic!” the soprano offered Bri.
Bri’s laugh erupted out of nerves this time. She was not sure if she could keep up with this prettier woman’s energy. When they had their food, they headed beneath a tree where they set up to eat. Lucy was radiant as she had been at the wedding several weeks ago, stealing attention away from the bride every so often. Her red hair was in a bun and her dress was a blue that matched her eyes.
“Mrs. Arteberry,” Bri asked, when she had finished her second roll. “How did you know about Orion’s…unique, eh, condition?”
Lucy finished chewing and then set back a bit, eyes closed in thought.
“My husband told me.”
“Mr. Arteberry knows?” Bri’s eyes widened.
She recalled Charles Arteberry at the wedding. The man who had made advances on both the bride and groom! It had not shocked Bri. Charles was her former brother-in-law, by the viscount Stephen Arteberry. Charles had been just as blatant in his flirtations with Bri in front of his brother as he had been behind his back. Never did Bri recall him mentioning Orion in the past.
“He does know him. But Charles hears many things, Lady Hookwell. He is a sailor after all.”
Bri kept her mouth shut. Charles was the connection between them, after all. Bri’s former brother-in-law and Lucy’s husband. She had trouble deciding who was open to secrets and who was not. Polite society was such a pain.
“He is truly a beautiful person,” was all Bri could say of her husband. “I hope you do not think less of him.”
Lucy’s eyes widened and her voice became shrill, “Think less of him! Why would I? We all love whom we love, dear.”
“So…you are not going to say bad things of him?”
“Why would I, Brigid! He is angelic. Absolutely lovely company!”
Bri was glad to hear her first name from Lucy’s mouth. Perhaps they could drop the formalities now.
Bri sighed in relief. “Oh thank god, Lucy!” she let the tension drain. “I thought you would not understand.”
Lucy rolled her eyes, “We all have our deviances, dear. Or ten, in Charles’ case.”
They laughed quickly at the absent sailor’s expense.
Bri had to ask. “How did Charles find out? Was it the usual gossip in these parts or…”
Lucy bit her lip and looked up into the tree. She was watching a squirrel run about in circles.
“You will have to ask them, I’m afraid. Although I recall…no! I should not tell you that.”
Bri’s eyes were large now. How could she not press for further details?
“The reason I ask…” she looked down at her hands and considered her words, for once. She had the penchant for blurting, but today she would try to behave for Orion’s sake. “I ask because I have noticed distress in my husband. His last man, well, he has passed judgment on Orion for wedding me. He has cut him off. Orion needs…well, he needs something I cannot give him.”
Lucy set her slice of bread down and stopped spreading the marmalade. She became serious, a strange sight for one so full of vibrancy. “He needs a lover?”
Bri nodded. A silence passed in which she laughed. “I figure I should find him one because he is being stubborn. He thinks he can go without it.”
Lucy let out a high laugh and swiped away a tear. “I am trying to imagine Charles saying such a thing,” she explained. “That will be a sign of the end times!”
Bri joined in the laughter. “My muffin is an idealist. He is trying to prove something. Does Charles fancy him? He seemed to at the wedding.”
In fact, she remembered at the reception seeing Charles squeeze Orion’s shoulder once and whisper something in his ear. By Orion’s expression alone, it seemed they had a secret.
Lucy blushed slightly but it cooled and she answered plainly, “Yes. But, Bri, everyone fancies Orion. He is positively adorable.”
Bri agreed, “I know he is. How well do they know each other?”
“They are…acquainted.” Lucy answered. She went back to preparing her snack. “I will ask Charles about it. We should all meet again, perhaps for an outing. You and your husband, and Charles and I. Yes?”
“Here’s to that!” Bri held up her teacup.
© 2011 Luz Briar.

3 comments:

  1. Small thing: "Her husband was the type to retreat into himself at times but he always immerged better for it." Immerged should be emerged.

    I really love the tale of Bri and Rion. I find all of your work quite enjoyable but this one just really captures all of the elements of literature I like. I think a lot of it has to do with the setting and the tone you're giving--you've really captured the Regency Era in this once and I'm really partial to historical fiction. Keep going! You're doing great and make me want more.

    As an aside, what do you think of having a website? The place I host mine was $45 for registering my domain and then hosting it plus and really great amount of space, and thats the entire year. If you buy the name and service, I'll make a website for you at no cost. It's not entirely selfless--I'll be putting it into my currently lackluster portfolio :P

    Also, I whipped this up for you, as the artifacting going on in your current header is making the graphic designer in me cringe: http://i53.tinypic.com/16h4vaq.png
    Let me know if you like it/hate it/like it but it needs insert-what-you-desire-here

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hate that word. it ALWAYS gives me trouble.
    a wow! that logo is...elegant. i'll credit it you for it!
    um...i'll think about the website thing. i love the idea, my biggest problem is html and such looking like goobily goop to me.
    Thanks for being a loyal reader. I'm glad you're enjoying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right! I was offering to do the HTML part for you, at no cost beyond buying your domain + hosting services. namecheap.com is the one I use and am most familiar with and I can vouch for them being reliable/not a scam like some places are. They also don't have the shady practices of godaddy. Just let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete