Tuesday, July 19, 2011

poem: No Altar

No Altar
What I’d give to stop the ache
To end the twisting, knotting pain
I would sacrifice to have that pit tamed
But it asks for nothing

No deity calls for offerings
No voice of thunder commands,
No blood-thirsty serpents

What can slip the ground back
Beneath my calloused feet?
What force can loosen
Knots as tight as these?

Still, though not commanded
I fall to a kneel…
When shall this longing break me?

Nothing  cracks the ice though
Nothing offers reprieve
Nothing rewards, nothing scolds.
My writhing torment...
Nothing! Nothing! Nothing!
And the pit, it grows and grows…

(c)2010 Luz Briar.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I hear your writing in a scary metal Satan voice. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. sometimes i do too. thank you much!

    ReplyDelete